The successful candidate will become a permanent member of our creative, friendly team and will work on a variety of exciting projects, both in the UK and internationally.
We are looking for an enthusiastic and talented Facade Engineer with excellent design, technical, and software skills who enjoys working collaboratively in multi-professional design teams, supporting on projects from inception to completion to achieve outstanding results.
You will be committed to developing your engineering skills on challenging work.
Arup Facades is an enthusiastic, energetic, multi-disciplinary team of facade designers. It includes engineers, technical specialists, building physicists and architects, all of whom share a passionate interest in cladding design.
- We are a leading dedicated facade consultancy, both nationally and internationally.
- Our creativity and technical expertise allow us to take on ambitious projects that few companies can deliver.
- We offer a depth and range of technical skills including specialist glass and building physics engineering.
- We have global forums to share technical advice and access to the latest software and technical documentation.
- We work closely with other specialists; Materials Consulting, Advanced Technology and Research, Fire Engineering and Acoustics.
- Our culture and values inspire us to think long-term and design with social purpose.
- We care about what we do and it shines through in the quality of our work.
In addition, you will make an impact in this role by…
- Being part of the UK facade consultancy team.
- Developing excellent facade solutions and see these through from concept to implementation. It will include scrutinizing detailed designs generated by specialist facade contractors.
- Undertaking design yourself, you will use your knowledge and experience to guide other team members.
- Working directly with our clients, architects, contractors and facade industry suppliers
- Producing calculations, drawings, reports and correspondence as well as managing time and budget.
- Performing and checking building physics calculations (thermal assessments, solar analyses, condensation risk assessments and day lighting analyses etc).
- Undertaking site, factory & testing visits and writing clear concise reports.
- Undertaking failure investigation studies and provide clear reports.
- Working with multi-disciplinary teams.
- Working on several projects running in parallel.
- Attending meetings and communicating with clients and design disciplines.
- Receiving support from our senior team members.
- Receiving training to develop your knowledge and skills.
- Identifying opportunities, produce fee proposals and negotiate contracts.
- Planning and monitoring the use of resources on projects.
- Attending meetings and communicate with clients and design disciplines to establish their needs.
To achieve in this role, you are likely to…
- Be Charted or have a wealth of experience in the facade industry and are a member of the Society of Facade Engineers.
- Be Degree qualified and chartered or equivalent professional qualification.
- Have completed a portfolio of medium to large scale projects.
- Have a breadth of experience in facade design across a range of facade types.
- Have experience with new facade materials and technologies.
- Have a versatile skill set including knowledge of detail design, structural and building physics, testing, inspections and investigations and site experience.
- Have strong technical knowledge of fire issues associated with the facade.
- Have good knowledge of ability and skills of potential facade contractors.
- Have a good understanding of relative costs between facade systems.
- Have a good understanding of access methods to install and repair facades.
- Have a love of exciting architecture.
- Show a strong ability to communicate with the team through sketching, drawing, report writing and also using computer modelling tools.
- Prepare clear and compelling reports to present the project team’s work and develop these at later stages into tender documentation.
- Have the ability to organise your work.
- Have the ability to develop relationships both internally and externally.
- Have the ability to encourage sustainable building design on projects.
- Have the ability to work collaboratively as a team.
- Have the ability to use the software tools for building physics assessments and parametric studies (thermal assessments, solar analyses, condensation risk assessments and day lighting analyses etc).
- Have experience in compiling Facade Specification for tender.
- Have experience of managing projects to quality, fee and time.
- Have good 3D design skills.
- Have commercial acumen.
- Be able to inspire clients, quickly win their confidence and give strategic leadership to the façade requirements of their projects.
- Have business development skills.
- Have abseiling qualifications.
Rewards and Benefits
We offer a competitive salary at all levels, and one of the best benefits packages in our sector.
Core benefits include cover under the UK Healthcare Plan (private medical insurance), Life Assurance, Accident Insurance, and Income Protection (long term disability) cover. Core benefits are funded by us and made available to all permanent staff in order to support and safeguard your financial, physical, and mental well being. You will also have access to Choice Benefits to help with your work/life balance and financial security.
In addition, all permanent employees are eligible for the Global Profit Share scheme. Subject to scheme rules employees can receive two Profit Share payments per year, which are dependent on the firm’s financial performance.
If you are interested in this great opportunity, please send your up to date CV to us to be considered.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.